Locus is a community organisation formed in 1988, originally to manage the building now known as the Locus Centre. In 2014, on behalf of the community, Locus purchased the Aberfeldy Town Hall as the first Community Asset Transfer in Perth and Kinross, with funds from the Griffin and Calliacher Community Fund. The remit of Locus is to encourage education, information and culture within this area of Highland Perthshire.
The Locus Centre was a former church donated to the people of Aberfeldy by the Congregational Union in 1987. It was converted to its current format in 2000, with the help of a grant from the Lottery Heritage Fund. Within the building is situated the Community Tourist Information Centre, as well as the offices for Locus Breadalbane Ltd., Rolling River Publications and Highland Perthshire Crossing Borders SCIO.
The Town Hall as it is was opened in 1898 although parts contain the original Aberfeldy School opened in 1843. It has one large hall, and one smaller, as well as three meeting rooms of various sizes and full kitchen facilities. Plans are currently in hand to update and improve the facilities for the current and future generation. Funding for the Locus Centre and the Town Hall has been provided by the National Lottery, the Griffin & Calliacher Community Fund, Perth & Kinross Council, Foundation Scotland, the Co-operative Community Fund, Historic Environment Scotland, J K Rowling and the Aberfeldy Hall Association.